Wednesday , April 17 2024

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Victims Identified

<div class="StoryBlock">
<p>The house once called home by 51-year-old Alvin Castro and 64-year-old Phyllis Castillo is now the scene of a tragic accident after the two were found dead Wednesday afternoon. </p><p>&quot;All indicators point to the fact that it was probably carbon monoxide,&quot; Fresno Fire PIO Pete Martinez said. </p><p>Firefighters said it appeared the&nbsp;two had been renovating the home, when deadly leak by the home’s wall heater brought their lives to a tragic end. </p> <p>&quot;It’s is an odorless, tasteless, colorless gas that we cant see,&quot; Martinez said. &quot;35 parts per million is what’s considered toxic to a human being, now when we went in, we had readings of 300 parts per million.&quot; </p> <p>Martinez said one person was found in the bed, the other on the floor, both appeared to be sleeping. He said that’s why the gas is so dangerous. </p> <p>&quot;It could be one of those things where that appliance stopped working while they were sleeping. In that case, they would’ve never known,&quot; Martinez said.</p> <p>But he says they could’ve known if they had a carbon monoxide detector.</p> <p>&quot;We’d like to have at least one in the house,&quot; Martinez said. </p> <p>They’re not hard to find. Ian Williams with Fresno Ag Hardware said they have all varieties in stock for anyone who needs one. </p> <p>&quot;Some are battery operated, some are plug in, but the most popular one and probably the one we recommend the most is battery operated and plug in type. That way if your power goes out, the battery operator will make sure it’s functioning properly,&quot; Williams said. </p> <p>Williams said each time a tragedy like this pops up, it serves as a reminder for how important detectors are.</p> <p>&quot;There’s no indication that the human body can detect it so you need a specialized detector to detect it,&quot; Williams said.</p> <p>Martinez said they are no longer investigating the deaths. The coroner’s office has ruled them both accidents.</p> <p>But he said you should always look out for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you start experiencing headache, drowsiness or difficulty breathing, and you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector, you should get out of your home and call 911.</p></div>

About NewsPress

Dedicated to going around town and getting in everyone's business!

Check Also

For agriculture, a changing climate brings challenges—but also opportunities

In many ways, climate change has already hit home here in the San Joaquin Valley—especially …

Wanna Comment?

Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply