Wednesday , June 19 2024

Family of Nine Hospitalized After Deadly Carbon Monoxide Fills House

<div class="StoryBlock">
<div><font size="2">A family of nine is hospitalized after their house in Fresno is filled with a deadly amount of carbon monoxide. The Fresno Fire Department said the De La Torre family woke up around 1am Saturday morning to both of their carbon monoxide alarms going off. Fire officials said on Saturday that the family is very lucky they had a working alarm in place, because the amount of carbon monoxide in the house could have killed them.</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">David de la Torre, his wife, his five daughters, and two granddaughters were in the house late Friday night. On Saturday, David showed the location of the alarms. One carbon monoxide alarm is located in the hall way in the center of all the bedrooms. The second alarm is located near the kitchen.</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">&quot;And after this one went off, that other one went back on. So that’s when we knew that something was wrong,&quot; said David.</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">David said the scariest moment was when his daughters complained of being sick. His 15-year old, Anita, felt the most sick, while another daughter said she had a headache.</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">David said, &quot;When they all started complaining about nausea, then I was like, ya call 911.&quot;</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">Anita said, &quot;I felt like nauseous and my head hurts and I had trouble breathing still.&quot;</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">Pete Martinez, the public information officer for the Fresno Fire Department said the De La Torre family’s home was emitting a deadly amount of carbon monoxide.</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">Martinez explained the measurement of carbon monoxide, &quot;35 parts per million could be toxic and harmful to human beings.&quot;</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">Martinez said the De La Torre’s house had a reading of 78 ppm in one area of the house, and 40 ppm in another.</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">&quot;You’re gonna feel flu like symptoms, nausea, headache, whatnot. But ultimately it can end in death, and that’s why CO detectors are so important,&quot; said Martinez.</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">David said PG&amp;E told him the CO came from the fireplace and the heater. David said a heater repair technician came by to fix the leak, so they feel good about sleeping in their house. David and his family were rushed to the hospital, and all were checked out by 6am Saturday morning.</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">David said, &quot;I’m just worried, everything’s just running through my mind, and just concerned about everybody.&quot;</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">As the man of the house, David said he’s so grateful the alarm went off and he and his family are now safe.</font></div><div><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></div><div><font size="2">&quot;It’s still settling in,&quot; reflected David.</font></div></div>

About NewsPress

Dedicated to going around town and getting in everyone's business!

Check Also

For agriculture, a changing climate brings challenges—but also opportunities

In many ways, climate change has already hit home here in the San Joaquin Valley—especially …

Wanna Comment?

Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply